Being the victim of a hit and run accident can change your life now and for many years to come.
With that being the case; what should you do when you’ve been in such an accident?
From your physical well-being to your emotional state and more, there are things you need to focus on.
So, how can a hit and run change your life?
Take Care of Your Physical Health First
When you have been on the receiving end of a hit and run accident, here are some areas of focus:
- Physical health – Your physical health takes precedence here. That said make sure you get checked out by medical professionals as soon as possible. Even if you think you are fine, you may have one or more injuries that are not noticeable. For example, you could be suffering from a concussion and not know it. You might also have suffered internal injuries that you are not aware of at first. By getting examined, there is less chance of bad happening to your health moving forward.
- Driver information – Tracking down information on the driver may seem hard at first. That said there are resources available, especially online. For instance, if the accident involves a New York driver, you could get online and do a NY license plate lookup. Such a lookup can provide you with info on the vehicle and quite possibly the driver. If the license plate lookup yields you worthwhile info, it was time that was well-invested at the end of the day.
- Getting eyewitness evidence – Check to see if there were any eyewitnesses besides you. If you had other people in the vehicle with you at the time, could they give important info to law enforcement? There might also be someone who was in the vicinity at the time and saw something. They may have even recorded a piece of worthwhile evidence on their cell phone. Also check to see if there were any video cameras in the area from local businesses. They might be able to provide some good evidence to investigators.
- What about your vehicle? – Did your vehicle make it through the hit and run? Some vehicles will be fixable and others could be completely beyond repair. Make sure you have your vehicle given a full inspection by your mechanic or an auto body shop. The last thing you want to do moving forward is be driving something that is not roadworthy.
- Educate yourself moving ahead – Last, it is wise to educate yourself moving forward. That is on how to be the safest driver possible. Even when you did nothing wrong in a hit and run, try and learn from it. The hope is this will be your last hit and run driving forward.
From injuries to being paranoid about driving again, it can have quite a negative impact.
That said you want to remind yourself that driving in general is safe.
So, will a hit and run change the way you go about getting around?